Skip to main content

Day 100 (Part 2 ) - Discharge

After the judgment, I took another pile of documents served on me during the judgment back to my room.  Since the judge did not close my case, I thought I was safe.  The Immigration would not do anything to me while a contempt proceeding is hanging over their heads, I assume.

I told friends whom I ran across that I won the case and was going out.  Everyone was excited.  They are always looking for any indication that they too might be able to get out one day.

When I was packing my stuff in big plastic bags, guards rushed to my room and told me that I had to go immediately.  I was booted out of my room very quickly and chased off to the Property.  Being a second timer, I knew this would happen.  So I organised my belongings in my room before the judgment.

In the Property, I had to wait for ages to get my suitcase back.  Of course, I was complaining that the failure to return my bags kept in the Property constituted an unlawful detention blah, blah, blah.  Did they care?  Nop.  Annoying!

To make the situation worse, my case manager was still on holiday and his replacement whom I spoke with on the previous day was on leave.  So the replacement of the replacement came to the phone.  She knew nothing about the history of my detention.  So she told me that I could take my belongings only up to 23 kg!  Here we go again!!  

The same old dialogue was repeated.  Basically, I told her that if I would not be able to take all my bags with me by air, I would not fly.  So they had to arrange a road travel.  She told me that there would be a coach leaving Sydney at 11.30pm but would no arrive on the Gold Coast until after 2pm next day.  No.  It would be too late to go to pick up my guinea pig.  I told her that I need to fly with all my bags and the failure to arrange it would be a contempt of court since the judge said to the Minister's representative that I should be sent back home with all my bags on the Commonwealth pay.  She eventually agreed to pay for the excess luggage but did not agree to pay a cab fare from the airport to my home.  So I had to remind her of the contempt.  After she finally agreed to pay the cab fare, she told me that the Immigration could not book a flight on the day!  What the hell.  So I had to stay one night at a hotel near the airport.  She arranged a hotel, a flight and cash for a cab and a breakfast.  

Finally, I left the Villawood after 7pm even though the judgment was delivered at 3.15pm.  I thought that I would be in a hotel in half an hour.  No way.  Serco arranged a van from Victoria for me to go to the hotel.  They didn't know Sydney!!!  They lost the way and circulated on the motorway in the Sydney traffic.  I lost the sense of time well before I finally got to the hotel with my 50 kg of bags.

Anyway, I got out!  My belongings 100 days ago weighed 27 kg.  Somehow it became 50 kg when I got out.  Amongst extra 23 kg, 15 kg are legal documents. Still 8 kg extra.  I did not buy 8 kg of shampoo.  I don't know what made 8 kg.  Also, I put on 6kg of extra body weight which I had to get rid of urgently.

This is the end of my second Villawood.  Thank you all for your support!