Skip to main content

Day 97 - Listing for Judgment

Yesterday, I telephoned the Registry of the Federal Court to ask about something other than the judgment in my migration case and accidentally discovered that the Associate to my judge had sent an email to the Registry directing it to list my migration case for the judgment on Friday.  Woohoo!  I was told that I would receive a notice of listing in the afternoon.  Bravo!

Guess what.  The notice did not arrive yesterday.  I don't know whose fault is that.  But my case does not seem to follow the plan in each and every step.

Eventually this afternoon, actually after 5pm (!), I received a notice of listing with the orders of the court made in chambers yesterday.  His Honour is requiring the Minister to produce me to the court for the judgment.  Unusual.  

Strictly saying, because I did not put the costs argument in my submissions, I should be in court for the costs argument.  But since I am not represented, there is no need for costs argument unless I lose the case.  And if I lose the case, I will no doubt appeal from the whole judgment including the costs order so that I do not need to argue the costs at this stage anyway.  Any judge knows it so it is very unusual for the judge to call me.  

If this order is made by any other judge, I would happily convince myself that the judge intends to release me in Brisbane and hence I won the case.  But my judge had an awful track record in my case.  So I cannot help but suspect that the judge tries to give me a time to see my Partner briefly before sending me back to Villawood.  Mmmmm....

Anyway, the negotiation of travel started.  I want to take all my belongings with me to Brisbane.  But I am sure the Immigration will try to prevent it.