Skip to main content

Day 91 - Independent Review But No Change...

My friend whom I call a 'problem child' here finally got a visa today and got out of here.  Thank goodness.  One less worry now.  Another friend eventually received a long-awaited notice today to be sent back to his country where some money he recently had got unexpectedly as inheritance or whatever is waiting.  Yesterday, another friend who is an overstaying tourist successfully negotiated with the Immigration about a visa to go back home.  Last week, my stateless asylum seeker friend got a visa and went out.  So people here are going one after the other.   But my judge is still on holiday... Grrrr!

Decades ago, my Parter often ridiculed me by saying 'When Villawood Survivor is not happy, the entire world will know.'  That was not true at all but today, I decided to lodge a few complaints to let someone know that I was not happy.  So I went to the website of the Australian Human Rights Commission to make a complaint by an online complaint form.  I did not use the form in the end but I found an interesting article.  

I did not know that the AHRC released a report about Villawood in December and expressed concerns about 'disproportionate use of mechanical restraint'.  I complained that in November when I first made a complaint about this time's Villawood stay.


When I quickly skimmed through the report, I found that the AHRC made a recommendation to change the practice of sudden transfer of detainees for no good reasons in an early morning without notice in advance!  Geez.  I knew that the Immigration never follows the AHRC's recommendations.  But really they don't.  Yet somehow, the Government spends taxpayers' money to keep the AHRC.  No wonder the tax in this country is high.  Oh, to avoid misunderstanding, I am not saying that the AHRC should not be kept.  Quite reverse.  I think that the AHRC's recommendations should be followed so as not to make the taxpayers' money a waste.  Here is the link to the report.