Skip to main content

Day 84 - Activities in Villawood

It was a busy day again.  I went to the gym for strength training with a personal trainer.  I usually do aerobics using a treadmill, a cross trainer, a bike and a rowing machine myself.  But I decided to learn how to use machines for strength training while I am here.  I booked a personal trainer at the induction yesterday for today's exercise.  So I was nearly murdered (?!) today.  

Geez, those machines are so effective.  My stiff neck and sore shoulders have gone completely in a very short time.  I definitely need a membership of a gym after I get out.  Villawood is a nuisance, always costly.  Last time when I got out, I could not go back to the lifestyle without a bath thanks to VIDC which had baths for children in detention.  But the Australian Human Rights Commission did not include in the recommended compensation the sum of the difference of rents between a unit with a bath and a unit without a bath.  I think it's grossly unfair.

I also went to an ESL class for beginners.  It was the most interesting activities amongst the ones I attended so far.  Today's topic was the usage of prepositions concerning time - ie. at, on and in.  I learned that the correct preposition before 'Christmas' is 'at' while before 'Christmas day' is 'on'.  I also learned that the young Aussie teacher who is a former school teacher did not know until she started teaching English as the second language that when adding 's' to the singular form of a noun to make a plural form, there is no need to place an apostrophe in front of 's'.  OMG...  I heard plenty of news reporting that school teachers have literacy and numeracy problems.  But I never saw the real example before today.

By the way, universities these days use a comment bank to provide feedback to students when returning assignments.  The standard comment bank includes the explanations of the difference of 'two, to, too', 'there, their, they're', 'its, it's'.  The comment bank can be customized.  For the law schools, I wanted to add 'principle, principal'.