Skip to main content

Day 79 - Current Affairs in Villawood

One girl got a broken bone in her arm, I think, today.  I heard there had been a fight in the shop since one of the girls pushed the other's back.  The one who, I heard, caused the injury is one of my former roommates.  She was quiet, neat, tidy, calm and pleasant, in my impression....  The one who got a broken bone lives in a couple doors away from my room.  She is a quiet, well-groomed, intelligent and elegant girl, in my impression.  I cannot believe that there was a fight between those two....  I think both are Kiwi, but I am not sure.

According to one of my friends (guy/gay), one of the centre managers said that the girls' compound (Lima) had more problems than the male compounds.  I often hear guards talking to each other about who was sent to Lima.  So it seems, my building is the place where the guards are scared to work.  Mmmmm...  

Today, I went to Charity Walk, women's knitting class and Personal Circuit at the gym in the Community.  So I was too busy to spend much time for net surfing.  When I eventually sat in front of the computer, I found a news from RAC about a hunger strike at Villawood!!  I said 'What?!!!' to myself.  I was not aware of a hunger strike although I heard in the knitting class someone asking about the high security compound only for male from jail.  Later when I ran across my favourite centre manager and his assistant, I asked about the hunger strike.  It seems that it was held in the high security compound.  The assistant to my favourite manager said it had already finished maybe after two days.  He was not sure about the duration of the strike.  RAC's news reported a four day hunger strike with one detainee hospitalised.  Before reading the RAC's news, I thought I would not go to the knitting class again but now I think I may need to go regularly to learn current affairs (or gossip) about the detention centre....