Skip to main content

Day 77 - New Rules for Visitors

For the last two weeks, I was told by a few people that there will be a new policy on visitors. 

First thing I heard was that there will be a criminal history check when applying for a visit.  Then, I was told that 100 point IDs will be required.  Then, a visitor has to apply for a visit at least five days prior to the planned visit.  Yesterday, someone told me that the success or otherwise of an application for a visit will only be told when a visitor arrives at the planned visit.  I have not had any confirmation of all these information.  So I don't know whether it is true.  But the detainees here are in a panic.  

A refugee girl is worried whether her husband has 100 points of IDs.  An interstate girl is worried if her husband flies from interstate and is refused entry into the centre.  My friends here are worried whether their criminal records prevent them from keeping their promise with each other to visit each other once when they get out first amongst us.  

I am not worried.  I have already met all my Sydney friends.  And the five-day rule will get me off the hook (regarding the visiting promise with my friends here) right away since I will not muck about in Sydney for five days.  I have to go to pick up my guinea pig.  Everyone knows that I am a piggy lover after I flashed around my pretty boy's photo.

Oh, I saw an optometrist today!  I do not know whether it is because I madly complained on Day 72 or because I asked the lawyers representing the Minister yesterday to tell their client that I cannot read their supplementary submissions because I was denied to see an optometrist and get new glasses.  In either case, it is one step closer to two pairs of free glasses.  But it is only one step ahead since the optometrist told me that it would take three, four weeks or more for the glasses to be delivered to me.  I am currently considering to whom I should send my next email and for what reason/excuse to give....