Skip to main content

Day 75 - Bad Week

Monday!  The start of a brand new week, thank goodness.  Last week was not really nice.  

First, one of my friends went to the Tribunal for her appeal from the Immigration's decision to refuse to grant her a bridging visa.  I knew the prospect was not good since her case was heard by a notable(?!) member of the Tribunal, who is a former adviser to Tony Abbott.  He said all sorts of nice things to her at the hearing so my poor friend who is very young heightened her hope.  Then he decided against her.  I thought he would do.

Another friend got a disappointing notice, too.  In his case, from the lawyer acting for the Immigration.  He was asked for a consent to an extension of time to file some documents for the reason the Immigration was reviewing his matter.  I told him that the normal way was to not give them a consent and drafted a standard two-line letter for him.  But he strongly believed that the Immigration would withdraw from the litigation and did not want to upset the Immigration.  So he gave a consent and waited.  The lawyer for the Immigration eventually told him that the proceeding will go ahead. 

Finally, I got the supplementary submission from the other side.  That irritates me.  I knew they really don't know law but really, there is no limit for their ignorance...  Obviously, reading the Migration Act 1958 is far too difficult for them.  But at least, they should be able to read what's written on the Department's website which is written for a lay-person visa applicant!!!