Skip to main content

Day 73 - Birds in Villawood

My compound has a few flower beds or vegetable patches in the internal garden.  Currently, parsley, coriander, pak choy, celery, corn, sunflowers are growing. 

The other day, some corns were pulled out and some sunflower's stalk was broken into two.  That made me feel sad.  I thought some of the stupid girls here must have done.  But that might have been an unsubstantiated allegation.  I saw this morning, a young cockatoo perching on a broken stalk of one of the sunflowers and happily munching on seeds!!  So cute!  

This is the first time I saw a cockatoo in Villawood although I see galahs, a gang of thirty, visiting the Oval every day.  A family of five masked wrap wings (a kind of plover) lives in the Oval and they are my favourite to watch even though masked wrap wing is not one of my favourite species of bird.  The Oval also accommodates Indian mynah while my compound is a territory of an Australian native, noisy mynah.  I know who(which?) lives where fairly well.  But I don't know much about people living here.

Having said so, I know that the reception of the Visits was staffed by three guards until at least Thursday.  Today, when I went to the Visits, a pat search was resurrected and there were four guards.  Apparently, an increase of the number of guards is an attempt to avoid an chaos.  But when pat search requires two guards, adding one extra guard does not make sense to me.  Sure enough, today's pat search is done by only one guard who was also monitoring another detainee filling in a form in the same room.  The result is....  as you can imagine.