Skip to main content

Day 69 - A Strange Guard etc

It was rainy this morning.  When I went out in my poncho, I met a guard who had walked into a column on Day 64.  He was wearing a hat with its brim extended by a handmade cardboard brim covered by a plastic bag!  I laughed.   He explained to me that it was not only convenient to avoid rain, it also prevents him from walking into a pole as the brim will act as a stopper!!  This guy is seriously funny.

After the chat, I went to a brekkie and the hairdresser, and then came back to the compound.  That guard came wearing no hat.  I said to him, 'No hat?'  He replied, ''Cuz it's not raining anymore.'  So I said, 'It's a shame.'  He burst out laughing and said, 'You always have a word!'.  What did he mean?!  I just engaged in an ordinary meaningless conversation.

I heard that two guys were sent to Christmas Island.  One building (next to Lima) was completely vacated last week.  Obviously, the centre is preparing for something.  I hope I can get out before the influx of new detainees...

Oh, by the way, I went to the Medical Centre to see a GP and asked him to squeeze me in to see an optometrist.  My appointment time was the same time as one of my friends who went to see a psychiatrist.  We had a chat on the way and I found she was taking Seroquel.  She even doesn't have major depression, let alone psychotic illness.  I think Seroquel is the only available medication to doctors of IHMS.  Ridiculous.