Skip to main content

Day 60 - New Year's Eve in Villawood

It's Day 60.  It's the end of the year.  I guess/hope, 35 days to the judgment.  But I am getting itchy feet.  I don't want to just wait.  Then my private media advisor (my gooooood friend who is a retired well-known journalist) succeeded in hooking one of the media producers.  Yay!  I need someone to tell the Minister that the judge said, 'Minister might revoke his decision after this hearing.'  I also want someone to tell the Attorney-General that I will file an originating application seeking mandamus against him because my petition has been sitting on someone's desk in his Department for the last four years.  Those guys should do the right jobs before wasting tax payers' money and judges' time.

By the way, do you think the Immigration is reading my emails?  I am asking it because I got a poncho this morning.  It was raining when I was on the way to the Dining rooms for brekkie so I asked a guard for a poncho.  When I said a poncho, I meant a plastic garbage bag.  I thought that I would be given a garbage bag just like the last time when we had rain (and I wrote about it in one of my previous emais to you).  But this time, I got a real poncho unexpectedly.  I was surprised.  The facilities (?!) for a rainy day caught up with the standard of 2006 Villawood.  The remaining big issues are the lack of Microsoft Word in my computer and the availability of a JP.  These two haven't caught up with the 2006 standard yet.

There was an interesting event yesterday.  When I was working on a document in the computer room, a few guards rushed to one of the girls who was also using a computer.  The guard alleged that the young girl had taken a photo with her mobile phone.  There is a camera in the computer room.  It seems that the guards were monitoring it when they misunderstood the girl's gesture of looking at her mobile phone screen by holding up the mobile at the hight of her eyes as taking a photo with the mobile.  They checked her mobile phone and got back to the station.  It wasn't a big issue but the quiet Iraqui girl wrongly accused of taking a photo sufficiently got shocked and started crying.  Well, it was not a big issue but, that does not justify frightening a quiet harmless girl.  Actually, she is not only quiet but also kind and helpful to others.  So other young girls did not forgive the guards.  They started pretending to pose in front of another detainee holding her mobile!  Ha ha ha.  If they do that frequently all over the centre, the guards will have to run around the centre!  It will be fun.

Thank you for your friendship during 2017 and wish you and your family a prosperous new year!