Skip to main content

Day 51 - Different Treatment of Detainees Depending upon Who They Are

On 22 December, I spent half of the day for telephone calls to all friends to whinge and cry and the rest of the day in bed at BITA (Brisbane Immigration Transit Accommodation) until at night.  The guards there talked to each other how difficult it is to win against the Minister in the Federal Court.  Apparently, they misunderstood that I had lost the case.  Bloody hell.  It's not difficult to win if the Minister's lawyers are not so incompetent as they were!!  Even then, I will win.  It just takes longer than it should have been.  Bastards.

The ABF tried to fly me back to Villawood immediately after the hearing yesterday but I was too sick and tired and really did not want to travel.  So I went to the toilet with a sick bag and did not come out.  The guards seem to have considered to drag me out.  But one of the guards was a mature age law student probably one of the students whose exam paper I marked a few years ago.  She persuaded others not to do.  I heard her saying,

'She is a lawyer and has a big network outside.  If we do that, she will sue us!' 

Good girl, you've learned something in the Law School.  Hold on,,, does it mean that had I not been a lawyer and had no network outside, she was prepared to do with others something which would give me a cause of action?  What are they doing normally to poor detainees who have no voice???  Jesus. 

Anyway, since I did not fly back happily last night, the ABF seems to have set up a task force to send me back to Villawood.  First, they told me that they would drive me back even though they were going to fly me back.  Secondly, they prepared a nice big van instead of an ordinary van to give me a comfortable time in the van.  Thirdly, they arranged an older female guard whom I liked to sit next to when travelling to Sydney even though her working hours of the day would reach 18 hours plus as a result.  Fourthly, they decided not to use handcuffs while travelling.  Fifthly, they send extra three guards (on top of the normal two) to walk around me in lieu of handcuffs in the airport.  Sixthly, they made sure that the carrier was Qantas (which was far better than Virgin in all aspects).  Seventhly, they brought in all excess luggage for me.  Eighthly, they got a blanket from Qantas and gave it to me to take to Villawood.

Obviously, they can do anything if they want to.  They should do these all the time.  I left BITA in the evening and came back to Villawood at around midnight in reasonably good spirit.