Skip to main content

Day 42 - Mandatory Cancellation of a Visa

A short time ago, I suddenly realised that a guy who came here at about the same time as me after some jail time for multiple disqualified driving has not been around for more than a week.  He must have got his visa back.  It seems that lucky ones could get out in several weeks while the average ones take six to eight months.  Only the ones who are specifically targetted by the Immigration seem to stay here for more than a year.  I think the mandatory cancellation of a visa following a jail term is really a waste of time and money for everyone.  Well, he immensely enjoyed shopping at the Shop while here and couldn't believe that it was all paid by the Government, so it might not be a complete waste of time for some.  But in general, it is a waste of time and money for everyone.

Today, my Partner received an email from his local MP who had made a representation to Peter Dutton upon the request from my Partner to ask the Minister to grant me a bridging visa.  His local MP received a reply from Dutton and forwarded it to my Partner.  It seems that Dutton('s office) passed the MP's request for a visa on to the Ministerial Intervention Unit of the Department for consideration.  It sounds nice.  Although I know it goes nowhere since the MIU has never done a right thing for the last 14 years, still it sounds surprisingly good to me.

Presumably, I will travel to Brisbane in a week.  But my case manager still can't tell me when and how to travel to Brisbane.