Skip to main content

Day 41 - Reading a Newspaper

This morning, I was reading a newspaper at the coffee shop.  It is my routine in the morning to have a brief chat with the barista who is actually one of the detainees and then read the Australian and SMH while sipping coffee.  The barista is a Kiwi, a former drug dealer, a very quiet guy and my favourite.  

But this morning was different.  There was a disturbance!  The hairdresser!!  The Lebanese guy!!!  He is a Serco employee and comes here for hairdressing but it seems that now his duty is extended to supervise the coffee shop.  So he was there, doing nothing, totally bored.  OMG...  Of course, he wants to have a chat with me to kill the boring time.  OMG.  My only pastime of the day has gone...

This morning's paper included an article about one of my friend refugee advocates.  When I was reading it, my phone rang.  It was him.  'Hey, I was just reading about you in today's paper.'  He explained to me what happened and sure enough, it was different from what the paper said.  But I was not surprised.  No newspapers can surprise me anymore after I read a newspaper article several years ago reporting my deportation from Australia!!!

Anyway, the phone was about the arrangement of some visitors.  Since I made friends with a few asylum seekers and refugees recently, I asked him and other supporters for refugees to come and help them.  That's done,  Now I have to help myself.