Skip to main content

Day 36 - Failed Deportation

Woohoo!  My next door neighbour came back!!  She came back in the evening yesterday.  Her suitcase went to her country of origin which she had left when she was a kid but she didn't go there with her suitcase.  She seems to have a big fight at the airport in Sydney.

According to her, she went there with seven guards.  They recommended her to have water, coffee, one after the other.  She drank some of them and soon became dizzy.  She thought she had been drugged.  But she shook it off and fought against the seven guards who tried to drag her into the plane.  Another seven guards turned up.  But she fought off.  

remember my Japanese friend told me that my next door neighbour had had a big physical fight against my ex-roommate Ms Serial Thief once and the emergency response guards (all male) had tried to break the fight and had chased her in the basket court in front of the compound building.  But they could not catch her.  So she is an exceptionally strong woman aged 44!

Anyway, I think the Federal Court document which I downloaded for her and another detainee filled in and faxed to the Registry two days ago must have been filed yesterday.  So I guess she will be my next door neighbour until I get out.

Coincidentally the detainee who filled in her form was the person I had a chat with when I participated in the charity walk yesterday morning.  He told me that my next door neighbour had failed to file an appeal to the Federal Court in time.  Her time ran out on Tuesday.  The documents were ready but a JP only comes here every Tuesday after 4pm so that she could not swear an affidavit to send to the court in time.  Had she or he told me what was happening, I would have told them how to make an unsworn affidavit.  But I wasn't told what's happening at the time.  

Anyway, I was asked to give her a Federal Court form for applying for an extension of time on Tuesday evening.  The guy sent her appeal documents to the Western Australia Registry which was not closed at that time.  But of course, filing takes time so they were not filed on Tuesday.  On Wednesday at 5am before the Registry opened, the guards took her to the airport. 

The Immigration must have thought that she would not be able to file an appeal in time because they do not provide a JP before the deadline for an appeal.  So they must have thought that if they deport her quickly before the Registry opens next day, they can avoid the court.  The Immigration is really sneaky!  

Anyway, the Immigration did not know how strong she was and in the meantime, her appeal was filed.  So the travel costs for the seven guards and her was completely wasted.  No wonder the tax in this country is high.

Oh, I got the latest Internet browser today.  The same computer techie who installed the IME of my language into the computer (designated for my use) came again and downloaded the Google Chrome into the computer.  Last time when he came for the IME, I was in the coffee shop reading a newspaper while sipping coffee and refused to go back to the compound to check whether the IME worked.  So the techie, this time, came earlier than the coffee shop opened and worked on the computer by himself.  Then he grabbed me when I was on the way to the coffee shop.  Clever.  He whinged that it had taken twenty minutes to download the browser for me.  He should have complained to his boss about the slow Internet!

One more news today.  It seems that Mr George Newhouse has been fighting against the Immigration which tried to implement a new policy to ban the mobile phone use in the detention centre.  The judge appears to have ordered that all detainees be notified of the existence of the class action and be advised the way to opt out the class action.  I saw the notice today in accordance with the court order but the ABF officers specifically came to explain to recommend the detainees to opt out if they want to bring the legal action based on their personal circumstances.  It was very misleading and deceptive although most girls except for one were not persuaded.

The opting out period will end on 22 December 2017 which means that the judgment will be next year at the earliest. Then, unelss I fail to get out of detention on 22 December, the mobile phone ban is irrelevant to me.  I
definitely have to get out on 22nd!