Skip to main content

Day 35 - Organised Crime?

Last night at 1.20am, I was woken up by a guard.  The Property was calling me.  Thank you very much for responding to my request after the mid-night, bastard.  I could ignore the guard but I took the opportunity since I had tried to access my belongings held by the Property for the last three weeks in vain.   I took bottles of shampoo etc to the Property to store in my suitcase.  I also checked both of my bags (one is the suitcase and the other is my briefcase) held in the Property.  I wanted to check whether my jewellery (although not really much, basically my wedding ring which I thought I would sell when needed) was there.  Of course, that's gone.

Now I know why the ABF officers who raided my home asked me again and again where the precious things were.  One of them specifically asked 'Where is jewellery?' several times.  That must be what she wanted.  The ABF does not seem to raid asylum seekers homes.  The Immigration usually calls them to come to the office when taking them into detention.  They probably target someone who may have something which they want to steal.  Great.

I made a complaint to my case manager only to be told to lodge a complaint to the Department's Global Feedback Unit (GFU).  The GFU is the central complaint management section.  Until a few years ago, the GFU worked very well but not these days.  Unlike old days when all complaints lodged to the GFU were quickly attended to, these days, they are just like the Ombudsman, that is, a corruption and misconduct clearing house.

Anyway, I had to register my complaint with the GFU which has an online form on the Department's site.  The problem is,,, the detention centre's Internet browser is so old that it does not display the GFU page.  So I had to ask one of my friends to upload my complaint on my behalf.  I am so sorry for my friend.  It must be time consuming and bothersome.  

By the way, when I woke up this morning, my next room was empty.  My next door neighbour was there at least until late last night but not this morning.  She was deported some time in between.  I downloaded a Federal Court form for her yesterday so I don't know why she has gone.  She was one of a few people I spoke with.   It's depressing...

In 2006, there was a practice of giving a detainee a 48 hour notice in advance of a removal or deportation except for a difficult case.  It seems such practice has long gone.  Everything became sneakier and sneakier, it seems.