Skip to main content

Day 30 - First Case Management Hearing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Breaking: Secured the judgment date on 22 December in Brisbane.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a directions hearing this morning.  These days, it is called the case management hearing.  It was listed at 10:30am in Queensland.  The notice came to me simply indicated that 10:30am.  I thought, hummm, the case manager of the Federal Court Registry (who is a junior lawyer who has no knowledge of the legal practice!) who was responsible for my case did not seem to know that there was a time difference between QLD and NSW.  Sure enough, the guards here chased me at 10:15am here in Villawood to send me to a non-existent hearing at that time.

I ignored the case manager and emailed directly to the Registrar informing what happened.  I also left the message as to what I would tell the court, just in case I wouldn't be able to attend the hearing due to the lack of the audiolink.  It was actioned by the Registrar immediately.  The new booking of the audiolink with the detention centre was made.  Then, when I went to the place where the audiolink was established at the right time, I was refused to enter by the guards because I had my bag with me.  I thought that might happen and raised the issue with the Court in advance.  It was supposed to have resolved by the time but was not.  Never mind.

The judge arranged another time an hour later.  I could attend the directions at last.  It was supposed to be a couple of minutes job but took an hour plus!  I think it was the longest time for the directions in the Australian legal history.  I missed the lunch as a result.  But at least, I secured the hearing date and also the judgment date before the Christmas.  The hearing is in Brisbane on 21 December and the judge will deliver the decision orally on 22nd.  Not so early as I wanted but it is miraculously early.  At least, no pro bono organisation ever thought that I could get a hearing date in this year.  So I should be happy.

The judge ordered that the Applicant be produced to the Court on 21 December 2017.   The Immigration was not happy but they have no good reason to oppose.  And the judge was careful this time.  He added one more order.  The hearing be in Brisbane.   Ha ha ha.

So I will go back to Queensland presumably on 20th and should walk out of the court on 22nd.  If I lose (which I cannot think of the reason for that), then I will be back in Villawood on probably 23rd?

I have to email to the cavy stud where my guinea pig is boarding.  Hello my friend, I might be able to come to collect my boy on 22nd of December.