Skip to main content

Day 21 - Assault!!!

I usually go to bed before 9pm.  It's 10:43pm.  Why am I still in the computer room?  Because I cannot sleep.  The entire compound is up.  Partially because I went to the guards' station to tell them my roommate was crying.  Well, probably everybody got up and out before I took action since my roommate screamed like hell a minute before I went to the station.

What happened was a disaster for me...

When I was in bed someone knocked on the door.  I have a habit of ignoring a door knock.  Plus I was on the upper bed of a bunk bed.  It is not easy to go down so I ignored.  My roommate went to the door and probably went out.  It seems there were some furious people came to complain to my roommate.  She seems to have stolen someone's mobile phone.  After a few loud voices, she came back to my room and said 'Junkie'.  Then the complainants blew their top, it seems.  I heard someone rushed into my room followed by screaming and yelling for a moment.  I thought, hey, what's going on and got up.  When I looked around, someone was walking out of the room.  I heard my roommate crying so I went down the ladder.  She looked OK although she had one of her hands on her cheek so she might have been slapped.  I did not want to get involved but couldn't leave it.  So I went out of my room to go to the guards' station.

The guards took my roommate away.  One of the guards said 'Assault'.  I asked the remaining guard whether I could go back to sleep or the guards and my roommate might come back to my room later, in that case, I cannot sleep.  I was told that I could go back to sleep so I went back to my room.  But,,,, sure enough, the central management came and I was called to come to outside.  The person from the management is one of the guards who knew me in 2006 but I did not remember.  Despite she called me, she did not want to hear from me.  Then why was I called?  Because someone wanted to tell me that they would lock my door after I go back to my room!!!  I asked them whether I am under some kind of witness protection.  They did not answer yes or no but if not, then what was the locking for???

I did not feel like going back to my room so I came to the computer room instead.  Other detainees told me that because my roommate steals constantly, this kind of incident is not rare.  I tend to be at a wrong place at a wrong time.  It seems I am in a wrong room...

Am I safe?  I don't know.  But the guards are not protecting me.  They are supposed to lock my door.  But all guards disappear.  What was that?

Ah, there was a room search this afternoon and the guard found something hidden in my roommate's pillowcase.  That was in a small plastic bag and looked like a ring from distance.  The guard asked her whether it was hers and she shook her head.

My roommate is from a country which does not accept an involuntary repatriation,  I guess I will have this sort of trouble constantly until I get out.