Skip to main content

Day 15 - Racial Discrimination Complaint etc

Today, I got an email from the Australian Human Rights Commission.  It was not about my complaint of the arbitrary detention but about a racial discrimination.  Actually, when I completed a complaint form to the Australian Human Rights Commission about an arbitrary detention yesterday, I also filled in a complaint form under the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 because there is no input method editor installed of my native language in the computers of the detention centre and I want it.

As explained yesterday, the Australian Human Rights Commission normally does not respond for weeks but I got a response in a day.  An investigation officer wrote to me that she had been assigned to my complaint as a priority case!  She wanted my confirmation of the outcome I want.  Her email gave me a good laugh.  From their reaction yesterday and today, it is obvious that the Australian Human Rights Commission was very, very upset by the acts of the Immigration.  Oh, funny.  Well, it is a disaster for me to be here so I should not be entertained.  But all these are like one big joke.

Anyway, the lack of foreign language input method is a problem shared by all detainees from non Western language background so it is understandable that the AHRC made it a priority.  I believe that the AHRC can fix this problem very quickly.

Today, I sent an email to the Minister's lawyers and asked them when I would receive a copy of the court book (which is a spiral bound papers for the proceedings).  Usually, court books will not be made and filed before the first return date but I told them that I needed it to consider the minutes of orders which they and I should hand up to the Court at the first return.  I want a Court order at the first return to expedite the hearing and also the final hearing date before Christmas.  I do not want to muck about because my little guinea pig boy is waiting.

I completely forgot to go to see a sister who visits here every Thursday.  I was distracted by an email from a clerk of a barrister from whom I had got an agreement that he would review my case on Wednesday (yesterday).  The clerk's email was to tell me that my pro bono solicitor had failed to send the documents for review before yesterday and the barrister could no longer review it. Oh dear...

The solicitors for the Minister has not replied to the enquiry from the docket judge's chambers.  No doubt they tried to get instructions from the Department immediately after they got the enquiry from the court yesterday so that it must be the Department which has not replied to the solicitors.  Unlike my solicitor, the Minister's solicitors never fail to act, I can tell you.  So something is going on in the Department.