Skip to main content

Day 3 - Exploration and Requests

Day 3 was an exploration day.  Holding a sheet of paper entitled 'VIDF Induction Briefing' which I was given at the Property, I went out of the Lima compound.  In front of the Lima compound is a large oval field with several picnic tables.  The field is green with lawn and clover.  I wanted to have Truth with me here.  He would have enjoyed.  Surrounding the oval are a few layers of footpaths.  If you follow the footpath to the other side of the oval, there is the area called the Community.  The Community is comprised of two dining rooms, one game room, one sports gym, one basketball court, one tiny library, one canteen, one hairdresser.  There may be more but
most facilities were not open on weekends so I did not know what else was or wasn't there.

According to the VIDF Induction Briefing, the opening hours of the canteen called the Shop are 10:30am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 3;30pm 7 days a week.  But the notice was up on the door of the Shop stating: '11;00am-1pm Mon-Sun from 1 August 2017'.  So the Property in November still gives the information of July to new arrivals.  Great.  Apart from the opening hours, the Community looks just like the student service area of universities.  I found the poster about pastoral care by Sister Hxx and Sister Mxx.  I took a note.  It would be nice to see them again after how many years???  Since nothing is open on the morning of Saturday, I went back to Lima.

The next thing I should do is to make requests for everything I need (or want even if I do not need immediately).  You may not believe this but I was wearing the track pants which I got during my previous Villawood stay when the ABF raided me on 2 November.  These pants had a hole or two and I wanted to replace them.  I got two brand new track pants on arrival here.  No doubt, I will wear them for the next ten years.  What else do I want?  Obviously I need something warm urgently as Sydney is cold.  So I made a request for a jacket and a jumper.  I wanted to make
new pairs of reading glasses and multifocal glasses.  So I made a request with an excuse that I had difficulties in reading the instructions and guides of the detention centre.  I wanted to make a request for dental treatment, too.  It is expensive in the community so that I wanted to have it done while I am here.  But I could not think of any plausible excuse why dental treatment became suddenly needed.  So I gave up making that request,,, for the moment.  What else?  I decided to make one more clothing request.  This one is for socks and T-shirts.  I can wear a couple of T-shirts at once to keep me warm, can't I?  Sydney is cold.