Skip to main content

Day 2 (Part 3) - Induction to the Villawood Immigration Detention Centre

The induction started probably nearly 5pm. An Indian looking induction officer came and asked me basic questions such as my name.  He asked me what the offence was to cause the cancellation of my visa.  Actually, my case is not a visa cancellation case.  But it was too bothersome to explain so I simply said, 'Misuse of telecommunication.  Don't shout and scream over the telephone and the Internet.'  The officer quietly said, 'In this country, if an Asian does the same thing as whites, there will be trouble'.  Gee.  It would have been useful if the Federal Court had an
induction session like this for a self-represented litigant!!

Since it was nearly the end of the business hour, we rushed to the Medical Centre.  There, I was seen by a North-East Asian looking nurse.  Since there was not enough time, she only asked me whether I had an allergy and
there were any health issues.  She asked me where I was picked up and I told her that it was home.  She told me that she had seen a man before me who had been driving a car when picked up.  She said she felt sympathy for the man as the man's wife did not know where he was.  It seems that the Australian Border Force has a habit of refusing to allow detainees to make a call to their family.

The induction officer and I walk back to the Property to finish off the procedure.  I received a booklet and information sheets and signed the receipts for them.  Then we had to sort my belongings.  Clothing can
enter the centre but not my computer, mobile phone, medication, degree (agh. Why did I bring here?) etc.  They are in my luggage and briefcase and placed in a plastic bag and then sealed with the tag.  In 2006, each item was
recorded on papers but this time, just sealed with no record of the items inside.  In 2006, when I was getting out of the detention centre, the Property and I checked each item and discovered some had gone missing.  I got compensation for missing items later.  This time, since there is no record, I will not get compensation even if
something has gone missing.  I remember the ABF uniforms recommended me to take precious stuff with me.  Did they know this practice of the detention centres when they recommended me to pack 'precious stuff'?

I got brand new track pants and some t-shirts.  Then I went to the Lima compound again 11 years after the last time.