Skip to main content

Day 1 (Part 3) - Still in an Interview Room at the Police Station

After the ABF uniform left the interview room, several people came to see me.

One of the persons who came to see me was a GP.  I told her that I did not like the fitness to flight assessment and asked her whether there was a charter plane waiting for me at the Gold Coast Airport to deport me.  She said to me that the assessment was for the reception of a detainee and because she did not have a passport with her, she did not think that I would be deported. Then she started asking me the standard questions that I was very used to being asked and to answering. The assessment lasted very long but there was nothing particular except for one thing.  She told me that she had brought Diazepam and Quetiapine (Seroquel) for me.  I believe that any psychiatrist, let alone my own, who hears that would strongly object if not wring her neck!

Another person I saw was a guy wearing a vest indicating the 'Immigration'. I asked the person to scan the Notice of Refusal and other documents signed by the Minister and email them to my Partner. He agreed and I gave him my Partner's email address. I understand that 'my Partner has not received any email from the 'Immigration'. I think I asked this 'Immigration' guy whether the Department of Immigration was planning to deport me immediately. He answered 'Not in this case'. I am currently hoping that what he said about the deportation in my case, namely no immediate deportation, is true because everything about me in the detention centre seems to be irregular.  Normally a case officer comes to see a detainee on the next day to their arrival in the detention centre but no one has come to see me.  Normally a detainee's name appears on the detention centre's computer on the same day or the next day to their arrival but my name is not on the computer even now.  I have not been given my ID card yet, either.  I was first allocated a room on the ground floor which was reserved solely for detainees who came directly from a prison. Then I was told this morning that I had to relocate to the upstairs because I did not come from a prison.

Anyway, at the police station on the Gold Coast, the last persons I met were the staff members of Serco. I asked them to allow me to make a call and was told that I would be able to make as many calls as I want free of charge in a detention centre but not when we were in the police station.  They said that they didn't have their passport with them so that there would be no international travel although they had not been told where to go.  They had to wait for the national office to call them to instruct them where to take me to because the procedure is that the national office decides the place where it sends a detainee after it received a medical report from a GP. Actually, we had to wait for the national office's call for a very long time.  I think it was after 10 pm when we eventually got to know that Villawood was the place. Then the chief of the team Serco started explaining to me how to get to Villawood. It was fairly horrifying.