Skip to main content

Day 1 (Part 2) - An Interview with the Australian Border Force

Arrived at the police station, I was taken to an interview room.  An Australian Border Force uniform turned up with a sheet of paper in his hand.

I asked him to allow me to give a call to my lawyer, my partner, a person who was supposed to come to collect my pet guinea pig.  The ABF uniform told me that I could not make a telephone call straight away but would be allowed to make a call later.

I also told the ABF that I wished to make an application for a Bridging Visa E and that I had my completed application in my bag to give it to him.  He said to me that I could not make a valid application for a Bridging Visa because the Minister personally

I do not remember when the ABF uniform gave me a bundle of documents including the Notice of Refusal.  But at some stage, he placed it on the table. I was not allowed to read immediately.  He also gave me a paper entitled 'Very Important Notice' and asked me to read.  This paper might have been given to me before the Notice of Refusal but I cannot recall the order of these two
event.

Anyway, I read the Very Important Notice.  While reading, he asked me repeatedly that I would sign or refuse to sign and also told me repeatedly that many people refused to sign.  I told him that I would sign once I finished reading the Very Important Notice to the end.  The Very Important Notice refers to another form concerning  privacy.  So I asked him to give me the form.  He refused. I asked him how I could sign the Very Important Notice when it required me to declare that I had read the form of privacy which I was not given and hence had not read.  He said, 'Understand'. When he was leaving the interview room, I asked for a telephone call in vain.

Later, after I arrived in the detention centre, I checked all the documents which the ABF gave me.  There should be copies of all the document I signed.  But for some reason, there is no information sheet which was used by the ABF to tell me that I cannot make a valid application for a Bridging Visa!  I definitely read and signed.  But mysteriously the document disappeared.

Furthermore, someone wrote on the Very Important Notice that I refused to sign.  I did not refuse to sign at all.  I requested the ABF to give me a form of privacy to read in order to sign the form.  The ABF refused to give me the form.